The benefits of light steel and modular construction in relation to residential buildings are:
- Speed of construction (up to 50% faster than traditional methods).
- Excellent performance characteristics e.g. fire resistance, acoustic insulation, and thermal insulation.
- High level of quality control, accuracy and freedom from shrinkage, reducing call-backs for defects.
- Light weight for medium-rise and mixed use buildings, in which the residential floors can be supported on a podium level, thereby reducing foundation requirements.
- Minimum disturbance to the locality during construction, with fewer deliveries; this is particularly advantageous where site constraints may limit the storage space available.
- Waste recycling in manufacture and reduction of on-site waste.
- Structural robustness and ability to create long spans and large openings.