The benefits of light steel construction in relation to fire safety are:
- Steel is non-combustible; it does not add to the fire load of the building.
- Fire protection for light steel framing is typically provided by the boards used for internal lining, e.g. gypsum-based boards.
- Fire resistance periods of up to 120 minutes are readily achievable.
- The amount of combustible material in a light steel framed building is much lower than in some other forms of construction.
- Modules and pre-boarded light steel panels are fire protected before delivery to site.
- Light steel floors, walls and modules are easily repairable after small fires.
- The fire risk during construction is much lower for light steel framing than for some forms of construction.