The benefits of light steel infill walls are:
- Rapid installation allows other activities within the building to proceed much earlier than would be possible with block-work infill walls.
- The construction process is ‘dry’, so that shrinkage and other drying-out problems are eliminated.
- Design flexibility: tall walls up to 5 m can be readily achieved.
- Large windows, parapets and other architectural features can be incorporated within light steel infill walls.
- Excellent fire resistance: periods of up to 120 minutes can be achieved using multiple layers of fire resistant plasterboard.
- Light steel walls can achieve excellent acoustic insulation: over 60 dB when using double layers of plasterboard and insulating quilt between the vertical C sections.
- A high level of thermal insulation is provided by a variety of insulation boards that attach externally to the vertical studs to create a ‘warm frame’.
- Light steel infill walls can be used to support a wide range of cladding systems.
- Light steel walls are much lighter and thinner than conventional block work walls; they do not apply heavy line loads to the floor.