The benefits of light steel construction in relation to durability are:
- Design life predictions for light steel framing in a ‘warm frame’ environment are in excess of 250 years.
- The NHBC and other housing warrantee providers, require a design life in excess of 60 years, and accept the use of light steel construction.
- Light steel sections are protected from corrosion by continuous hot-dip zinc coating.
- Steel does not shrink, warp or change its shape.
- Light steel construction can be used for walls, floors, roofs and suspended ground floors.
- Steel does not creep under load.
- Galvanised steel does not suffer from fungal or biological deterioration and is not susceptible to insect infestation.
- Even in uninsulated roof constructions light steel sections provide a design life in excess of 100 years.